Trying to crate train your dog? Using the following technique, your dog should be going to the crate in no time.
How To Crate Train Your Dog
- Standing sideways in the neutral position next to the entrance of the crate, say “crate” then toss a treat inside of the crate.
- Return your hand to the neutral position and look inside of the crate.
- After the dog enters the crate say find it and toss a treat outside of the crate to get the dog out of the crate. Repeat this 5 times.
- On the 6 time, say “crate” give the hand sign, but don’t toss a treat into the crate. Do keep looking at the crate and after the dog goes into the crate give the dog 3 to 5 treats while still in the crate.
- Now say “find it” and toss a treat outside of the crate. Repeat this 5 times.
- Then move a couple of feet from the crate and say “crate”. Give the hand sign for crate and continue to look at the crate when the dog goes into the crate give 3 to 5 treats while the dog is in the crate. Continue to increase the distance from the crate. If the dog is not able to do it in 45 seconds go back to the point it was successful and start again.
Using this technique, you should be able to have your dog go to its crate from anywhere in your house.